Monday 11 October 2010

Monet, Monet, Monet...... (and some Cezanne)

Finally got round to using the comps for the "Impressionist Gardens" exhibition at the NGS in Edinburgh (it closes next weekend).


Weeeeeeel, yes.


Some crackin'paintings, some boring, some kinda average.
In a gallery I want to stand in front of some pictures for perhaps 10 minutes, and others will get a quick glance and then I move on. This is not easy when the place is packed with the "creme de la creme" of Edinburgh's posing classes, many of them probably former pupils of Miss Jean herself !


I'm very much in the "I don't know anything about Art, but......" club. I liked the water lilies by Monet and was strangely fascinated by one of "lotus lilies" in Lake Erie. However, even I could see that they were stretching the definitions of "Gardens" and "Impressionist" with some of the exhibits. I fact my favourite really qualified under neither heading - Calderini's "Winter Sadness". Chilling in more ways than one.


All change next door in the National with its "paid by the square foot artists" exhibited in the downstairs galleries which Sir Timmy had redecorated in a style described as "hoors boudoir". But there is some good stuff (IMHO) upstairs at the back, and the Scottish stuff downstairs is interesting form a heritage point of view


All in all, a good day out, despite the bone chilling haar outside.


I need beauty in my life


and I need culture red in tooth and claw

No comments:

Post a Comment